Utrecht University in the Netherlands invites applications for a PhD position in Sustainable Finance and Innovation in the 2021/22 academic session.
Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) and the Faculty of Economics and Business at KU Leuven offer a fully funded joint PhD position on the topic of sustainable finance and innovation. Although technical feasibility of the sustainability transition has been demonstrated, investments into corresponding solutions remain niches. This PhD thesis will break new ground by developing a theory of ‘financial diffusion’ from niche to mainstream actors, based on the investigation of clean energy and biodiversity investments, two major mitigation and adaption solutions.
The candidate is expected to conduct high quality research (consisting of a series of papers aimed at high-end academic journals), both qualitative and quantitative, resulting in a doctoral dissertation. The research will contribute to Utrecht University’s research themes ‘Institutions for Open Societies’ and ‘Pathways to Sustainability’. The candidate will also be expected to teach in the Bachelor’s and/or Master’s programmes of the School (e.g. teaching assistance or supervision of a limited number of Master’s theses). Teaching is in English.
Worth of Award
- You will be offered a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for a period of four years. Preferred starting date is 1 October 2021 (or 1 January 2022 at the latest).
- Employment will be at Utrecht University, but the candidate will spend a significant amount of research time at KU Leuven as well.
- The candidate’s performance is evaluated after 18 months and after a sufficiently satisfactory assessment, the contract is extended for the remainder of the project. During this time, 90% of the position is reserved for research and 10% is dedicated to teaching activities.
- The gross salary ranges between €2,395 in the first year and €3,061 in the fourth year of employment (scale P according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment.
- Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
- In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions external link (multiple choice model).
The ideal candidate has a driven and collaborative spirit and is expected to have:
- a (Research) Master’s degree in a discipline relevant to the PhD project (preferably (business)economics, financial management/economics or applied economics);
- excellent study results and analytical skills (qualitative and quantitative);
- a strong interest in and motivation for scientific research;
- excellent command of spoken and written English.
The candidate is selected on the basis of the curriculum vitae, academic qualifications, motivation, and the interview(s) with the supervisors.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply’ button below.
- a complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- a list of courses taken and grades (insofar as already available) for (Research) Master’s programme;
- a motivation letter;
- a sample of written research (e.g. Master’s thesis);
- two reference letters.
Deadline: applications close August 15, 2021.