Lafiya Innovators invites applications for the Lafiya Innovators Early- to Mid-Stage Startups in Emerging Economies in West Africa and the USA in 2021.
Lafiya Innovators is a startup incubation program to support and accelerate early- to mid-stage startups in emerging economies – focused on public health, healthcare, or directly impacting the determinants of health.
It is a six-month incubation and acceleration program taking place in three locations throughout West Africa and Latin America. Each regional cohort will combine community collaboration with specialized health and business expertise, providing entrepreneurs with a locally-rooted, globally-connected experience.
Worth of Award
- Participating startups will be enrolled in a regional cohort hosted in Accra (Ghana), Dakar (Senegal), or Medellín (Colombia).
- Early-stage startups will grow their professional network, establish a basic business model, and develop a minimum viable product.
- Mid-stage startups will further iterate and expand on their existing business model and complete the due diligence process for fundraising.
Aiming to deliver impact at scale, the program focuses in particular on technological innovations and systemic solutions targeting underserved populations, including children, adolescents, and women. Specific criteria are listed below:
- Open to for-profit and non-profit startups.
- Startups may be focused in any area of health and wellbeing, including but not limited to clinical care, public health, community-based health, nutrition, and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH). Startups may also focus on core operational areas, such as health-focused logistics, fintech, or edtech solutions.
- Solutions directly impacting a determinant of health must be able to clearly explain the health impacts of their business, and why creating connections in the health space would be strategic for their growth.
- Solutions may be focused on both the public or private sectors and may have a business-to-business (B2B) or business-to-consumer (B2C) approach.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website.
Deadline: Applications for the 2021 cohort open on June 1st and close on June 30th.
- Interviews: July 1, 2021 – July 7, 2021.
- Program dates: July 12, 2021- December 2021.