Applications are currently being invited for the Nature Research Awards for Driving Global Impact for Early Career Researchers in the UK in 2021.
Science is critical in solving global challenges thus, applications from early career researchers working in these areas are welcome:
- Food security, water security and/or energy security – ensuring a long term, sustainable supply of either food, water or energy.
- Healthcare interventions – the assessment, improvement or promotion of human health.
- Environmental protection – protection of the natural environment on land and water including the repair of damage.
- Climate change – slowing climate change and adapting to what’s unavoidable.
- Sustainable cities – building green, liveable cities that last.
Worth of Award
Prizes will be awarded to one winner and two runners up.
- The winner will receive a grant of USD 30,000, and coverage on nature.com and on the Award’s website.
- The two runners up will each receive a grant of USD 10,000 and coverage on nature.com and on the Award’s website.
- Similarly, shortlisted applicants will also be announced and profiled on the Award’s website.
In order to be eligible for the Nature Research Awards for Driving Global Impact, applicants must
- Be employed by a university, research institute or any other not-for-profit organisation.
- Hold a PhD or clinical doctorate, one of which was awarded not earlier than 1st January 2006.
- Lead an independent research group established within the past 5 years as of 1st January 2021.
- Demonstrate the application, or potential application, of their research to make a positive impact on one of the global challenges above.
In a similar vein, applicants must realize that
- Dates may be adjusted in the case of maternity leave(s) or other formal leave(s) of absence taken before the application deadline. This will help applicants to adjust for the duration of the leave taken.
- The reference date for calculation of the eligibility period should be the date of commencement of the first independent research project. Note that the project is led by the team leader named in the application. In practice everyone who commenced such a position after 31st December 2015 is eligible. However, this period will be extended in the case of maternity leave(s) or other formal leave(s) of absences. This includes those taken after the 1st of January 2006 and before the application deadline with the duration of the leave taken.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through the online application form via the official website.
Deadline: It would interest you to know that the application window opens on January 11th, 2021, and closes on March 21st, 2021, 23:59 GMT. Furthermore, shortlisted candidates will be announced in July while winners will be announced in November.