The Smithsonian Institution (SI) invites applications for Postdoctoral Fellowship in Biodiversity Genomics which promotes collaborative research in these fields involving comparative genomic approaches such as phylogenomics, population genomics, metagenomics or transcriptomics, and have a component that involves significant bioinformatics analysis, in 2021.
The Smithsonian’s molecular research facilities are located at National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), National Zoological Park (NZP), Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC), and the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) in the Republic of Panama. Collaboration among SI facilities is encouraged. Research staff may be named by applicants to serve as principal advisors, co-advisors or consultants. Affiliated research staff may be named as co-advisors or consultants if they will be in residence during at least a portion of the tenure period proposed. You are strongly encouraged to correspond with your proposed advisor(s) as you prepare your proposal.
Worth of Award
- The stipend for Postdoctoral and Senior Fellows is $50,400 per year (twelve months). Stipends are prorated for periods of less than twelve months.
- In addition to the stipend, allowances to assist with the fellow’s research-related expenses and for temporary relocation to the Smithsonian are possible.
- A maximum research allowance of $4,000 is available.
- The amount awarded will be determined based upon the budget and justification presented by the applicant. The budget for the research allowance should not include costs for relocation to the Smithsonian, which is awarded separately.
- The Office of Fellowships and Internships cannot provide funds for the travel or living expenses of dependents. All funds provided under Smithsonian fellowships, including stipends and research and travel allowances, are subject to tax.
- Applicants must propose to conduct research in-residence for a period of 12 to 24 months.
- Applicants must have completed or be near completion of the PhD. Recipients who have not completed the PhD at the time of application must provide proof of completion of the degree before the fellowship begins.
- Applicants interested in conducting research at these facilities are strongly encouraged to contact potential advisors/hosts at any of the Smithsonian’s various Museums and Research Institutes prior to proposal preparation and submission.
- Identification of the member of the Smithsonian’s research staff who might serve as your principal advisor/host.
- Also identify potential co-advisor(s) and/or consultant(s) if applicable.
- The publication, Smithsonian Opportunities for Research and Study contains the necessary information on staff research specialties and current departmental interests to help you determine which staff members are best suited to your research needs.
How to Apply
- You first need to create an account in SOLAA and then you will be able to apply.
- Applications for the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program are not listed under the museum, research facility or office in which the applicant proposes to conduct research.
- Applicants need to select the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program found under the Office of Fellowships in SOLAA.
- You may search “Biodiversity Genomics” in the program name field.
- If you have any questions please contact the Office of Fellowships and Internships at 202-633-7070 or send an email to [email protected] .
Deadline: Application closes on November 1, 2020.