George Mason University in collaboration with Mercatus Centre invites applications for the Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship in USA 2021
The Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship is a one-year, competitive fellowship program awarded to graduate students attending master’s, juris doctoral, and doctoral programs in a variety of fields including economics, law, political science, and public policy.
The aim of this fellowship is to introduce students to the Austrian, Virginia, and Bloomington schools of political economy as academic foundations for contemporary policy analysis, policy-relevant academic research, and other applied topics. Fellows will explore how this framework is utilized for a variety of topics (including entrepreneurship, technological innovation, regulation, immigration, natural disasters and military conflicts, and federal and state fiscal policy) during a series of colloquia where they will interact with Mercatus scholars that work on the cutting edge of policy analysis and policy-relevant academic research.
Worth of Award
The total award of up to $5,000 includes a stipend and travel and lodging to attend colloquia hosted by the Mercatus Center.
students who meet all of the following 3 criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Students that will be enrolled in an accredited graduate program during the upcoming academic year.
- Students that are able to commit to travelling during 4 weekends for colloquia during the upcoming academic year.
- Students that have an interest in public policy and Mercatus’ approach to research and outreach in the ongoing debates on public policy.
Mercatus Center Frédéric Bastiat Fellows are required to:
- Remain enrolled as a degree-seeking graduate student throughout their participation in the Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship Program
- Attend and actively participate in all aspects of the scheduled program of events (i.e. the 4 agreed upon weekend colloquia) including meals and organized social activities
- Arrive on time and prepared for each colloquia session having carefully read the assigned reading in advance
- Submit an updated CV or resume quarterly over the course of their participation in the program and on request
Mercatus Center Frédéric Bastiat Fellows are expected to:
- Coordinate their schedules to arrive in the DC metro area before 5pm each Friday for the weekend colloquia, making arrangements with their home institution to cover any responsibilities that might present scheduling conflicts with travel
- Submit expense reimbursements within 15 days of the adjourning session of each colloquium
Mercatus Center Frédéric Bastiat Fellows are encouraged to:
- Build relationships with Mercatus Center scholars
- Build relationships with other program participants
How to Apply
In order to apply to the Frédéric Bastiat Fellowship, please click the “Apply Now” button and complete the online application. The online application includes:
- A 1-2 page cover letter explaining
- your graduate school career to date
- your research and research interests
- your familiarity with Mercatus scholars and their research
- what you hope to get out of the program.
- A current resume/CV
- A few short answer questions
- If you have any questions, please email [email protected]
Deadline: applications should be submitted on or before March 15, 2021