Charles Koch Institute in the USA is currently offering the Poynter-Koch Media and Journalism Fellowship in USA 2021 for journalists and storytellers.
Journalists and storytellers discover and then report what is fact — and what is not. They shine light on inaccuracies and injustice, adopting a role as the ultimate stone kickers and sceptics. They inspire and educate with stories that explain, provoke, and expose the world around us. In doing so, the press builds a foundation of trust and mutual understanding that is essential for progress in all its forms.
The Poynter-Koch Media and Journalism Fellowship’s curriculum is designed to address not only the hard skills of reporting and storytelling techniques but also the pillars of First Amendment law, foundations of a free press, and the core values that underpin public service journalism.
While bringing differing perspectives from varying roles and newsrooms, Poynter-Koch fellows share common ground: a commitment to the ideals and values of journalism. The power of the program comes not from the curriculum but from the diversity of fellows’ perspectives.
Worth of Award
- As a finalist for the Poynter Koch Media Journalism Fellowship, you’ll have the opportunity to find placement as a paid, full-time journalist at a participating news outlet, joining colleagues who are passionate about journalism and the critical role of the free press in society.
- You’ll learn from each other, on the job, and from a robust, real-world curriculum presented by seasoned, professional journalists.
- The fellowship program provides a salary stipend to the employer of 60 per cent of salary up to a maximum award of $50,000 per fellow.
- You are passionate about journalism and telling inspiring stories, but you know there is more to learn and want to sharpen your skills.
- You’re a hard-worker and self-motivated.
- You understand the importance of free expression and the role of the press in society.
- You describe yourself as a life-long learner.
- You work well independently but also enjoy collaborating with others.
- You know there are media outlets that can benefit from your knowledge and skills.
Knowledge and Skills, You’ll Bring to the fellowship:
- Champions of a free press and a passion for storytelling
- Eager learner with a growth mindset, open to continual self-improvement
- One to three years of experience in media and/or journalism
How to Apply
You would provide online a Résumé and written responses of 200 words or less for each of the following questions:
- Describe what freedom of the press means to you and its ideal role in society?
- Describe a story you covered or read that challenged your thinking?
- Describe something media has done to either positively or negatively impact society within the last 50 years?
- Describe what inspires you to be a storyteller?
Deadline: The application for Poynter Koch Media Journalism Fellowship ends on February 26, 2021.