Application Deadline:15 December 2020
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
• Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long-term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in or for their region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree who want to pursue Master’s courses, either
• in their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit).
Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university Bachelor’s degree with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
Please note: Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) might have additional requirements for admission to the university.
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) are available in the following field:
• Master’s in laws (LLM)
The duration of the Master programme is generally one year (regular period of studies) and is usually starting in November 2021
Documents to be submitted for the DAAD scholarship application in English:
• DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
• Curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
• Recommendation letter by university lecturer
• Letter of admission from the host university / institution / network
• Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
• Letter of motivation and a timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
• Copy of the passport
• If available, information on the recognition of the university degree certificates in the host country
• If applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee
For More Information: