European Union’s Friends of Europe Fellowship 2020 for emerging African Leaders - Scholarship for Africans
Application Deadline: 16 August 2020Friends of Europe are looking for a part-time (2 days a week on average) free-lance driven Senior Fellow and Task Force Leader, for a duration of 2 years. Travel within Africa and Europe connected to Task Force meetings. Residing in Africa is an advantage.
Funded by the European Union, this project brings together a leading African think tank, the Mo Ibrahim Foundation renowned for its work in supporting good governance and exceptional leadership in Africa, a leading and innovative European think tank working on a more inclusive, sustainable and forward-looking Europe, Friends of Europe, and IPEMED, a respected academic institute. Together, this consortium has a vast depth of expertise on African and European policymaking and the investment environment across both regions as well as extensive networks of high level political and business contacts.
At the heart of this project is a mission to develop strategic policy and programming priorities for partnership in priority areas of cooperation, with climate change and green transition as transversal themes. The project aims at reaffirming a framework for a structured continuous and strategic dialogue between both regions’ stakeholders from business, politics and civil society. Four task forces are being set up in the following key sectors and themes: digital economy; transport and connectivity; sustainable energy and sustainable agriculture.
As project coordinator, Friends of Europe is recruiting a Senior Fellow and dedicated Task Force Leader for Sustainable Agriculture.
The Task Force leader has the overall responsibility for driving, leading and supporting the strategic development, coordination and delivery of one Africa Europe Alliance’s Task Force, in order to meet agreed impact targets, develop action-able recommendations at a policy and programming level, secure buy-in from multi-stakeholders and contribute to the overall visibility for the Alliance.
- Creating shared purpose and connecting with others, building trust and understanding with people who have different views;
- Making it happen, achieving stretching results when faced by change and major obstacles;
- Working together, creating an environment in which others who have very different aims can work together;
- Being accountable, showing real dedication to the long-term mission and expected outcomes of the Alliance.
Skills and Knowledge
- Proven record of dialogue facilitation and partnership development for high impact outcomes;
- Experience of successful strategic dialogue processes which build shared views around common issues of concern;
- Familiarity with facilitating dialogue processes face-to-face and from remote through digital platforms;
- Strong understanding of Africa-Europe cooperation, its development challenges, diverse country contexts, investment practices;
- Excellent analytical, writing and editing skills;
- Fluent English speaker; good working level of French is considered an asset.
Proven ability to develop relations and dialogue processes which deliverable measurable impact;
- Professional sector expertise in the Task Force thematic and in the domain of Africa-Europe relations;
- Active and up-to-date network of contacts in the theme of the Task Force;
- Proven ability to present well in professional forums, conferences and strategic meetings;
- Experience of working effectively in a matrix management structure.
The position is to start in September 2020.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter, indicating the position and your surname in the subject line to: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is Sunday 16 August at midnight CET.