WORLD WILDLIFE FUND (WWF) PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT GRANTS (PFGS) 2021, NON-DEGREE TRAINING (FULLY FUNDED)
In light of recent safety concerns and travel restrictions surrounding the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, EFN is only accepting applications for trainings and conferences that are virtually accessible for the November 1, 2020 deadline. Please review the updated guidelines below.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email EFN at [email protected].
Professional Development Grants (PDGs) provide support for mid-career conservationists to pursue short-term, non-degree training to upgrade their knowledge and skills. This training can include short courses, certificate training, or conferences among other training opportunities.
EFN has adjusted the November 1, 2020 application cycle to support online programs and locally based courses only. Grants will be awarded up to US$2,000 based on program requirements.
For the November 1, 2020 deadline, the following costs will be considered at the discretion of the EFN program: registration fees and tuition for virtual trainings and conferences, required books, required materials (e.g. headphones, computer camera, notebooks), required temporary licenses (e.g. GIS, excel), limited travel within home country, and Wi-Fi costs.
Individuals from the following countries are eligible to apply. Please note that within the eligible countries EFN gives preference to applicants working in WWF priority regions.
- Central African Republic
- Dem. Republic of Congo
- French Guiana
- Papua New Guinea
- Republic of Congo
- Solomon Islands
Applicants must meet all of the following eligibility criteria to be considered for a grant. Specific eligibility criteria for the August 1, 2020 (virtual only) deadline is included below. Please confirm you meet all eligibility requirements before applying. Approval of virtual trainings and conferences is up to the discretion of EFN.
- You must be a citizen of an eligible country.
- You must currently be living and working in your home country.
- You must have at least three years of paid work experience in a conservation-related field in your home country.
- You must have applied to or already be accepted to participate in the proposed training at the time you submit your application.
- Your current work and proposed training must help advance conservation in your home country.
- You must not be enrolled in an academic degree program. Virtual courses that are part of a university degree program or online degree are not eligible.
- You must have approval from your employer to participate in the proposed training and the promise of continued employment.
- You must have a bank account in your own name that can receive US dollars and international wire transfers.
- You must not have received funding from EFN in the past. Previous PDG recipients may be eligible for Alumni Grants.
- The proposed training must take place at least 45 days after the application deadline.
You must submit all required documents by the application deadline.
Additional Criteria for November 1, 2020 Deadline
- Only trainings and conferences that are available online or are locally based are eligible. Locally based courses are eligible if they require limited travel and follow national COVID-19 restrictions.
- Trainings and conferences must be offered through an accredited institution.
- If the proposed training requires an application, you must have already applied to or be accepted to participate at the time you submit your application.
- Courses must be completed no later than August 1, 2021.
- For online trainings or conferences, applicants must have a stable internet connection for coursework and a computer.
- For online trainings or conferences, applicants must meet the minimum requirements designated by their course.
- For online trainings or conferences, priority will be given to courses with a defined start and end date or “live sessions”.
How to Apply:
All applicants must complete an application by one of the deadlines noted below. The proposed training must take place at least 45 days after the application deadline to allow EFN time for review, selection, and processing of the grant.
- August 1, 2020 – VIRTUAL courses and conferences only
- November 1, 2020 – VIRTUAL courses and conferences only
- February 1, 2021
Employer Approval Form
EFN requires employer approval for all PDG applicants. Due to the effects of COVID-19, EFN may adjust this requirement based on special circumstances. Unique cases will be reviewed on an individual basis and must receive approval from EFN. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please email [email protected].
The process for submitting the employer form is explained below:
- Applicants will put the email address of their supervisor in their application.
- Once the applicant submits their completed application, their supervisor will receive an automatic email requesting an employer approval document to be uploaded. This document’s responses will be used during the review process.
- Employers can use this template for ease of filling out the required information. They will then need to save the completed document and click the upload link in the email they received.
Please note: Applications will not be considered complete until after the employer approval form is uploaded.
01 November 2020 (1st Cycle)