African Student Cellphone Film Competition in South Africa 2020
The Centre for Human Rights at the University of Pretoria invites Students from all countries in Africa to participate in the 2020 edition of FACES: African Student Cellphone Film Competition.
The purpose of the Competition is to encourage students from Africa to express themselves and to engage with issues of relevance to Africa, using available cellphone technology. The Competition, which is now in its third year has since 2017 rewarded winners with incredible prizes (which included cash prizes and all expenses paid trip to Mauritius).
Worth of Award
This year, the top three winners will be receiving mobile film gear alongside cash prizes as follows:
- 1st prize: R10 000
- 2nd prize: R5 000
- 3rd prize: R3 000
- Those who make the film must be registered as undergraduate or postgraduate students at any tertiary institution in Africa during the 2020 academic year. Group work, especially on an inter-disciplinary basis, is encouraged.
- Each film must be a maximum of 3 minutes long, and filmed on a smartphone, ideally one supporting HD. It may be edited on a computer or other device, using any software available to you. Please pay particular attention to sound during and after filming to ensure that all dialogue and sound effects are audible.
- The words FACES 2020: African Student Cellphone Film Competition must appear at the start of the film. Cast and crew information (including university or college affiliation) must appear in the end credits.
- The film must be original and be made specifically for the competition. You may not have previously entered your film to any other competition or festival.
- The film must contain the words ‘human’ and ‘rights’ and ‘wrongs’, in any order, in the dialogue, or in written form.
How to Apply
- Make a short fictional film or animation by using your smartphone. The maximum length is 3 minutes.
- Films can be edited and must contain the words ‘human’ and ‘rights’ and ‘wrongs’, in any order, in the dialogue, or in written form.
- Films should be uploaded to YouTube/Vimeo and submitted via the online form
Deadline: application closes on November 15, 2020.
Subscribe to our newsletter!