Fully Funded Mastercard Scholarships for African Students in France 2021
The Sciences Po and the Mastercard Foundation invite applications for up to 120 Mastercard Scholars to study at Sciences Po for the 2021/2022 academic year. Full scholarships are available to students from sub-saharan African countries.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Sciences Po aims to support 126 talented African students through their studies and to offer the next generation of leaders a world-class social science education, so they can go on to become changemakers in their home countries.
Over six years (2017 – 2022), the Scholars Program will fund:
- 20 scholarships to complete the Sciences Po Bachelor of Arts programme, Africa specialisation
- 46 scholarships to complete a Master’s programme at one of our seven graduate schools
- 60 scholarships reserved for Mastercard Foundation Scholars studying at other partner universities and who would like to attend Sciences Po Summer School.
The Mastercard Foundation works with forward-looking organisations to provide greater access to education, training and financial services for economically disadvantaged people, primarily in Africa. As one of the world’s largest private foundations, its mission is to advance education and promote financial inclusion in order to forge an inclusive and equitable world. The Foundation is based in Toronto, Canada, and has operated independently of Mastercard International since its inception in 2006.
Worth of Award
- The scholarships are awarded for a period of three years for the Bachelor’s degree, two years for the Master’s degree and one month for the Summer School.
- They cover the full cost of tuition fees at Sciences Po and living costs in France during the study period.
As well as funding their studies, Sciences Po will offer scholars a specific suite of resources to ensure they have appropriate academic support and to facilitate their transition from education to employment:
- An orientation programme and individualised academic advising throughout their studies at Sciences Po
- A mentor programme offered in collaboration with the Africa Division of Sciences Po Alumni
- Career guidance and support: an online job platform dedicated to professional opportunities in Africa (internships and first jobs), access to our business incubator and the network of employers and alumni working in Africa, and specific career workshops.
- Eligibility for the scholarship is determined in light of candidates’ academic record and socio-economic situation.
- The scholarships are awarded to students from sub-Saharan African countries with an outstanding academic record and strong leadership potential, but who face financial and other barriers to higher education.
- Applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries are eligible to apply: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
How to Apply
Candidates must apply online on the dedicated website. There are two steps to the application:
- First, candidates provide personal information and a letter of recommendation from the Sciences Po partner institution which is supporting their application through the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
- After this first step to assess eligibility, applicants receive an email inviting them to complete the rest of the application: information on their financial situation, their educational background and extra-curricular experiences, and their plans for the future.
- Eligible candidates will receive an email notification that they can apply online without having to pay the application fee.
- Important: eligibility for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program does not guarantee admission to Sciences Po, which entails a separate application process.
- The application to Sciences Po is then assessed as per the standard admission procedure for the chosen programme: Bachelor’s, Master’s or Summer School.
Deadline: Application deadlines for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarships are:
- Apply for the Scholarship before November 25, 2020
- Apply for your master before December 6, 2020
- Summer School:
- Apply for the Scholarship before January 31, 2021
- Apply to the Sciences Po Summer School before February 28, 2021
Click here for Masters admission
Subscribe to our newsletter!