Brenthurst Foundation Machel-Mandela Fellowship Programme 2021
The Brenthurst Foundation in South Africa is inviting young graduates to apply for the Machel-Mandela Fellowship Programme in 2021.
The Machel-Mandela Fellowship programme aims to be the most prestigious of its kind in Africa. It helps sharpen the Brenthurst Foundation’s focus on Africa’s burgeoning youth population and helps nurture Africa’s future leaders.
The fellowship will be available full-time for a minimum of six months and the selected candidate will be expected to take up the appointment in April 2021. The fellow may be from South Africa or farther afield. They will be based at the Brenthurst Foundation’s headquarters in Parktown, Johannesburg. Fellows will work directly with and assist the Foundation’s staff on a range of projects and activities, some of which will require foreign travel.
Worth of Award
The fellowship includes;
- An all-inclusive stipend per month and accommodation (subject to Foundation policy) will be provided.
- Other work-related expenses may also be covered subject to agreement with the Foundation.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for this fellowship:
- Under 30 years of age
- An Undergraduate or Masters level degree
- Excellent spoken and written English. African and other languages an asset
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiastic and reliable, a self-starter who requires minimal oversight and management
- Able to balance deadlines and attention to detail
- Fluency in all basic IT skills
- Copy editing and proof-reading skills an asset
- A passion for Africa and a keen interest in new thinking and strategies to strengthen Africa’s economic performance
- Broad knowledge of African politics and economics
- Familiarity with the work of the Brenthurst Foundation.
How to Apply
You will need to send:
- An up-to-date CV with references’ details
- A covering letter – no more than 500 words, outlining your interest in the position and the skills you can bring to bear
- A writing sample – this can be any piece of work, for example, an essay or a published article, of any length.
- The earliest date you would be able to start
- Details of where you saw the programme advertised.
- Please address your application to Ms Leila Jack at [email protected] quoting ‘Machel-Mandela Fellow’ in the subject line.
Deadline: Application closes January 15, 2021.
Subscribe to our newsletter!