Application Deadline: 13 October 2020.
Young managers at higher education institutions in developing countries can now apply for the DIES UNILEAD course offered by the University of Oldenburg in 2021. The course brings together the topics Project Management, Strategic Management & Academic Leadership and Human Resource Management with individual and practice-oriented change projects of each participant.
UNILEAD forms part of the DIES programme (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies), which is jointly coordinated by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) since 2001 and funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). DIES offers a bundle of measures – training courses, dialogue events, projects and partnerships – that foster professionalisation of institutional management processes, alignment of education to international quality standards and strengthening of research capacities.
UNILEAD focuses on three key areas:
- Project Management. This includes courses on Methodology of Project Management and Financial Management in Projects.
- Strategic Management & Academic Leadership. This includes courses of theoretical basics and practical tools for the Development and Implementation of Strategic Management and Acquisition of Competences in the area of Leadership.
- Human Resource Management. This includes courses on Instruments of Human Resource Development, Conflict Management and Communication.
UNILEAD targets higher education managers from developing countries. The two key criteria are:
- Applicants have been holding a university management position with managerial and personnel responsibilities no longer than 4 years in one of the following fields:
o Managers of central university departments (Planning, Quality Management, Human Resources, Continuing Education; excluding academic units such as Deans, Vice Deans, Head of Department)
o Task force managers for university reform projects
o Managers of staff development units or programmes
- Active and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are indispensable. Phone interviews will be organised with short listed candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency.
Further criteria are:
- Applicants are university leaders preferably between 30 and 40 years.
- Applicants hold at least a Master’s degree.
- The provision of international experience will be an asset.
During the contact phases the participants will be guests of the University of Oldenburg. Following expenses will be covered:
• Course costs UNILEAD approx. 5.500 €.
• Travel costs: Flights to and from Germany (Economy class) and ground travel to and from Oldenburg (2. Class train). We kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangements – they will then be reimbursed in cash upon arrival in Oldenburg.
• Accommodation (including breakfast) and some joint meals at the two contact phases in Germany.
• Emergency health insurance during the contact phases.
Expected co-funding: Participants’ home institutions are expected to contribute to the course costs by paying a
one-time fee of 300,00 €. The fee will be deducted from the travel reimbursement in the first contact phase.
In addition, local transportation in the participants’ home countries, visa costs and possible additional per diems
for the stay in Germany have to be covered by the participants and/or their home institution.
Contact details of Programme Management
Ms Christine Vajna
Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg
Dept. of Continuing Education and Education Management (we.b)/C3L
E-Mail: [email protected]