Application Deadline: Monday, March 1, 2021.
The Science Without Borders® Challenge is an international contest that engages students and teachers in ocean conservation through art. This annual competition inspires students to be creative while promoting public awareness of the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources, contributing to the overarching goals of the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation. The Challenge is open to primary and secondary school students 11-19 years old, with scholarships of up to $500 awarded to the winning entries.
The 2021 Science Without Borders® Challenge
The theme for this year’s Science without Borders® Challenge is “Mangroves Matter.” Mangroves are extremely important ecosystems providing many benefits. For this year’s theme, create a piece of art that illustrates how mangroves are important. Learn about the theme.
This international art competition is open to all students 11-19 years old. Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent. College and university students are not eligible for this contest.
Work will be judged in two categories based on age, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
- Students 11-14 years old
- Students 15-19 years old
Winners of the Science Without Borders® Challenge will be awarded with the following scholarships:
- 1st Place: $500
- 2nd Place: $350
- 3rd Place: $200
A panel of artists, educators, and scientists judge the Science Without Borders® Challenge. Artwork will be evaluated on the quality of the artwork, originality, and adherence to the theme. The judges will use a Grading Rubric to evaluate the artwork.
When creating your artwork, you should think about these questions:
- Does your artwork reflect that you understand the theme of the contest?
- Does your artist’s statement also show that you understand the contest theme?
- Does your piece show that you have a good understanding of art and that you use these art elements, such as line, shape, form, value, composition, and color, to effectively portray the theme?
- Is your artwork original, inventive, and shows off your individual style?
- Is your artwork neat? Are there tears, smudges, and/or smear marks?
- Does your artwork invoke emotion for your viewers? Is it striking and memorable?
For More Information: